Digitalization of education
Due to the advancement in technology, the foundations are totally extinct in the 21st century. For the development of all sectors, technology plays a prominent role. Everyone is aware about smartphones, laptops, and tablets. During this stage, the education system is developing for the sake of betterment. Earlier, teachers used the blackboard to explain things, and students were busy writing down notes. Today, Classroom teaching has become more interactive with the use of digital methods such as PPTs, video presentations, e-learning methods, practical demos, online training, and other digital methods or platforms.
During the period of the Covid-19 pandemic, About 60 lacs of students across the world are restricted to sit at home during this crucial period which generally sees an outbreak of curricular and assessment activities. Institutions and students are under pressure not to lose academic time and re-invent their teaching-learning completely online.
Advantages of Digital Education:
- Interactive: Classroom teachings have become more fun and interactive with digital education. Children tend to be more attentive. They are not only listening but also viewing it on the screen which makes their learning more effective.
- Pay Attention to details: Interactive screen time through interactive online presentations or practical sessions in educational content with the help of the students to pay more attention to details which enables them to complete their activities themselves.
- Quick completion: Using electronic gadgets like tabs, laptops, or notepads, instead of pens and pencils, motivates children to finish their tasks quickly.
- Learn at his pace: Students hesitate to ask questions to their teachers in classrooms. But with digital education, understanding anything becomes easy as one can attend the recorded sessions to clear his doubts.
- Vocabulary: Active online screen time helps students develop their language skills. They learn new words and their vocabulary is also expanded by reading eBooks or accessing study materials online.
- User-friendly: As digital education is user-friendly, you can very well access your study program wherever you are. You can learn on the go. The best thing is that even if you miss certain classes, class notes are accessible on the school website.
- Learn on his own: Nowadays, online study materials are easily available. So students can access online study modules which enhance their knowledge even without a teacher.
- External guidance: With online education, students can even further connect with distant counselors and faculty to seek guidance.
Digital Education also has its Disadvantages:
- Expensive: First of all, it is expensive. That is why we see that most International schools and schools that have digital education are far more expensive than regular schools.
- Infrastructure: To have digital education means, you need to have a proper infrastructure not only at schools but also at homes, particularly affordable broadband.
- No fixed timetable: Online learning requires much better management and rigid schedules, whereas, in traditional classroom training, everything is as per a fixed schedule.
- Reduces imaginative abilities: Getting all answers on the net easily also reduces the children’s own creative abilities.
- A sluggish approach to studies: This may lead to poor study habits and can develop in children a lazy attitude. Children are forgetting the importance of basic studying as even for simple problems and homework, they are seeking help from the internet.
- Is aware: Lastly, the internet is a vast place and there are many things which a child might come across that are not good for the children.
In conclusion, digitization has no doubt changed our education system, but we cannot say that it has diminished the value of our old-time classroom learning. The best part about the digitization of education in the 21st century is that it is combined with the aspects of both; classroom learning and online learning methods. Walking hand in hand both act as a support system to each other, which gives a stronghold to our modern students. Digitization in education has also proved to be the right method for saving resources. Online examination platforms have restricted the frivolous usage of paper, directly confining the cutting down of trees. This way the digitization of the education industry in the 21st century proves to be a boon to our society.
ITELinfo or digital age is the truth of our lives today which is unavoidable if one wants to live, learn, and move ahead in the 21st-century world. This digital age is a potentially liberating process freeing teachers and students from the acquisition and retention of information and enabling them to focus more on the creative processes of making connections and creating new paths which have meaning and purpose for the present.https://youtu.be/BLppXWg7qXY