When individuals with related interests, manner, and experience come together to work for a common purpose then team is formed. Every person contributes uniformly and performs his level best to meet the team goal and achieve the organization’s objective. Team members try hard to meet the expectations of organization and successfully complete the designated job. A team cannot do well unless and until each and every member is goal oriented and sincere about his duties. For each team member, his team should come first and everything else afterward. Personal benefit must take a backseat.
What Is Team Building?
Team building is a management skill used for improving the competence and presentation of the workgroups through different activities. It involves a lot of proficiency, study and perception for forming a tough and competent team. The complete motive here is to attain the organization’s idea and target. Team building establishes solid bonds between the members of a group. The individual members value each other and their variations and share common goals and prospects.
Constructing a great team needs a lot of competence and presence of mind. Usually, some manager’s expertise in team-building proficiency and are recruited by the organization on this parameter. The manager accountable for team building must be competent to find out the plus and minus points of the team members and create the right mix of people with extraordinary skill sets. He must focus on developing strong interpersonal relations and belief among the team members.
The manager must persuade conversation and interaction among the team members and also decrease strain with the help of several team-building activities. He must obviously describe the targets and objectives of the organization to the team members. He must clarify the role of each member in the team to express them towards the accomplishment of the targets.
How Does Team Building Work?
Frequently, the team leader or manager will assist a sequence of meetings at which employees would be acquainted with each other and develop consistent working relations. In a larger organization, organization development staff can conduct the team-building sessions. Many human resources professionals are also convenient in conducting team-building sessions. And with a little practice, teams can use another employee to assist in their group’s session. But team building doesn’t always have to facilitate meeting to achieve the goal of a reliable team. You can make your team by assembling activities and enjoyable events that team members can do together.
Team Building Process
Team building is not a one-time action. It is a step- by- step procedure which targets at bringing about an enviable change in the organization. Teams are frequently formed for a particular chore or project and are generally for a short period.
The several steps implicated in team building are as follows:
- Recognize the Need for Team Building:-The manager has first to evaluate the necessity of a team for finishing a particular assignment. It should find out the purpose of the work to be performed, required skills for the job and its complexity before forming a team.
- Defining Objectives and Required Set of Skills:-Next comes the chalking down of the organizational goals and the skills required for executing.
- Consider Team Roles: – Manager recognizes the various features, i.e. the communications among the individuals, their roles and restraints, strengths and weaknesses, composition and appropriateness of the possible team members.
- Conclude a Team Building Strategy:-Now, the manager has to understand the operational structure well to ensure an efficient team building. He must himself be confident of the goals, functions, responsibilities, duration, and accessibility of resources, guidance, and the flow of information, response and building faith in the team.
- Build up a Team of Individuals: – At this point, the individuals are composed to create a team collectively. Each associate is made familiar with his jobs and responsibilities within the team.
- Establish and Communicate the Rules:-The rules regarding the reporting of team associates, meeting plan, and decision- making within the team discuss. The members are confident to ask questions and give their ideas to develop an open and vigorous connection in the team.
- Recognize Individual’s Strengths:-Various team-building exercises are conducted to bring out the capability of the individuals. It also helps in adapting the team members with each other’s positive and negative points.
- Be a Part of the Team: – At this position, the manager requires getting implicated with the team as an associate and not as a superior. Making the individuals understand their significance in the team and treating each member similarly is essential. The team members should see their manager as their team leader, Guru and hero.
- Monitor Performance:- Next step is review the efficiency and presentation of the team as a whole. It involves finding out loopholes and the reasons for it. This step is important to develop the team’s performance and yield in the long run.
- Schedule Meetings:-One of the most vital steps is to hold persistent meetings from time to converse about team performance, job-related problems and discuss future strategy.
- Dissolve the Team:- Lastly, the manager wants to evaluate the results and remunerate the individuals on their involvement and accomplishment. Finally, the team is isolated on the completion of the goal for which it was created.
Advantages of Team Building:
Team building has radically evolved as a skill to grow and control efficient teams in the workplace. The target to achieve long-term organizational goals developed the requirement for carrying out team building activities frequently.
Let us discuss the different advantages of team building to an organization:
- Identify Strengths and Weaknesses:- During team-building movements, the strengths and weaknesses of each member can be recognized. In day to day work, such study cannot be done. This proficiency can be used by the managers to form valuable teams.
- Direct Towards Vision and Mission:- Team building activities define the function and significance of the team for the organization to reach its visualization. It makes the associates understand the organization’s aim, goals, mission and idea very clearly and encourage them to contribute towards it.
- Develops Communication and Collaboration: – Team building activities boost the interpersonal dealings of the team members. It makes individuals feel at ease and well-known with one another. Collaboration builds belief and understanding among the team members.
- Establishes Roles and Responsibilities: – Defines and simplifies the role of each member of a team. Moreover, the members are given individual responsibilities, along with the inspiration of performing as a team.
- Initiates Creative Thinking and Problem Solving:- In a team, individuals are motivated to give their ideas, opinions and answer to a finicky problem. It leads to brainstorming and discovering their creative side.
- Builds Trust and Morale:- By conducting team building activities, the organization makes the employees feel esteemed. It motivates them to develop their skills and build strong interpersonal relations, ultimately boosting the confidence and belief of the team members.
- Introduces and Manages Change: – The skill of team building makes it simpler for the managers to integrate an organizational change by making the individuals familiar with the change and its requisite. It also helps in supervising such modification and its impact over the functioning and team’s performance.
- Facilitates Delegation:- The managers find it more suitable to hand over the work to a team rather than an individual. Therefore, team building assists the managers to competently and effectively delegate the task to the team.
- Better Productivity: – If the team is judiciously formed and all the team members work collectively to achieve the objectives, the productivity of all the individuals enhances. Consequently, escalating the efficiency of the team and the organization.
Disadvantages of Team Building:
Team building is not an easy task. A high-performance team can fulfill the organizational objectives. However, an incompetent team can lead to depletion of time and resources of the organization.
Therefore, we can say that there are multiple unfavorable effects of team building too, which are as follows:
- Develops Conflict: Sometimes, the team misses coordination and understanding among its representatives. This leads to discrepancy and clashes within the team and hence reduces the efficiency and output. A lot of time is wasted on an argument management.
- Unproductive or Free ride Team Members: At times, some of the team members do not add much to team performance. Such individuals are considered to be free riding team members. They prove to be incompetent and unproductive for the team.
- May Lead to Non-Cooperation: Every individual is unlike one another. The team members sometimes lack cooperation and union. This non-cooperation among the team members leads to depletion of efforts and hampers the performance of the team as a whole.
- Difficult to Evaluate Individual Performance: Whatever the result or the outcome the organization gets by team building is the team’s achievement or failure. Usually, the organization overlooks the contribution of each member individually while rewarding the efforts of the whole team.
- Involves Cost: Team building activities involve time and money. Moreover, a lot of time, costs and resources are consumed in assuring harmonization, stability, response, conclusion building and disagreement management within the teams created.
- Accountability and Credibility Issues: In case of failure, it becomes tricky to find out the reason. The team members sometimes do take up the responsibility for their work, holding the other members to be responsible for the adverse outcome.
In case of success, the team members get busy taking up the credit themselves, overlooking the efforts of the entire team together.